Monday, July 2, 2007

Holy Darkness

The following is a song based off of St. John of the Cross's classic book "The Dark Night of the Soul." I'm going through a spiritual trial at the moment and this song comforts me.


Holy Darkness

chorus: Holy darkness, blessed night, Heaven's answer hidden from our sight. As we await You, O God of silence, we embrace Your holy night.

I have tried you in fires of affliction; I have taught your soul to grieve. In the barren soil of your loneliness there I will plant My seed. (Then go back to the chorus.)

I have taught you the price of compassion; you have stood before the grave. Though My love can seem like a raging storm, this is the love that saves. (Then go back to the chorus.)

In your deepest hour of darkness I will give you wealth untold. When the silence stills your spirit, will My riches fill your soul? (Then go back to the chorus.)

Copywrite 1988, 1989, Daniel L. Schutte. CD "Glory in the Cross; Music for the Easter Triduum" Published by OCP Publications. All rights reserved.