Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Our Lady of the Smile

Since Our Lady of the Smile is a co-patron saint of this blog, I thought that I should dedicate this post to her. At the childhood home of St. Therese the other patron saint, there was a statue that her mother was particularly fond of. At about the age of ten Therese was ill with a mysterious illness. The doctor predicted that she would never recover, for he had never seen a case like hers last so long before. Her family tended to her and prayed very hard for her recovery. Therese, gazing at the precious statue begged for a cure.

"Suddenly the Blessed Virgin glowed with a beauty beyond anything I had ever seen. Her face was alive with kindness and an infinite tenderness, but it was her enchanting smile which really moved me to the depths. My pain vanished and two tears crept down my cheeks- tears of pure joy (p. 34 The Story of a Soul by St. Therese).

Whenever I see a statue or picture of Our Lady of the Smile I feel at peace. "There she is...my gentle and compassionate Mother. I can feel the love that she has for me. I feel peace and hope." With the help of her St. Therese was led out of darkness. Just as she cured little Therese Our Gracious Mother can cure of us and help us carry our crosses."